I want to choose a Chinese name for myself, but I really have no idea how to choose a name that won't be weird. Here is some information that might be helpful: I am a female and I chose 范 as my surname. My preference is names that are nature themed, but any other good sounding names will be great too.

2 Answers 2

明珠,菲菲,晴晴,婷婷,婉婉,青青 are names I like.

I know a girl called: 冰凌:icicle

I knew a girl whose 名 was 一, 杨一

珍珍 is also sweet, doubly precious!

仙莹:immortal sparkle

春妮: girl born in spring

煜: glorious, brilliant

如玉: like jade

Chinese names are much more interesting than European names!

There are a lot of common nature-themed given names for females. The listed names are all for females if not further explained.

Flower-related: 芳,英,荣,华,芬,莉,萍,梅

Tree-related (mostly unisex): 楠,梓,桐,竹

Weather-related:雪 (often 瑞雪),晴

Water-related (female are often referred by waters): 溪,汀

In choosing a name, my suggested formula is

surname + Characteristic + noun or surname + noun

The surname can be one similar to your original surname or from a historical or legendary person you admire.

The characteristic is some virtue that you value. Examples for females are,淑,慧,睿,婉,丽,婷,俊

The noun is an object that can represent you, maybe a nature-related object in your case.

For example:

范淑芬 fan + kind and gentle + flower

范丽华 fan + beautiful + flower

范晴 fan + good weather

范瑞雪 fan + lucky + snow

This formula can be used when one has almost no idea of what a regular name should be like. However, there are not many limitations to name choosing. If you have a better idea, you can ignore this formula.

• In my humble opinion, 范淑芬 and 范丽华 are too common and old. I usually see it as a 60-year-old woman's name.
    – T-Pioneer
    Sep 26, 2020 at 0:22
  • @T-Pioneer Yes you are right when saying they are super common through ages. Well that also means they are safe to be regular names. If you have a better idea, there is no reason to not go for it.
    – River
    Sep 26, 2020 at 0:45
  • My personal favorite are the tree names such as 桐 and 楠, which are not that common but regular.
    – River
    Sep 26, 2020 at 0:54
  • @T-Pioneer Is that so? I'm not old so I prefer more modern names, I won't choose these then.
    – Light
    Sep 26, 2020 at 8:45
  • @River Can I use characteristics with 桐 and 楠 too, or would it sound weird?
    – Light
    Sep 26, 2020 at 8:46

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.