Is 我学了中文了 a good sentence? Is it possible to have 2 times 了 this way?

Are both of the following correct?

• 我学中文了
  • 我学了中文

Is their combination also correct?

• 我学了中文了
  • But what exactly are you trying to convey? I can only imagine these as answers to, “Did you study Chinese today?” and/or “what did you study today?” – Mo. Sep 28 at 17:17
    @Mo. Independently of what I am trying to say, I would like to know if they are meaningfully gramatically well-formed sentences. – Vincent Mia Edie Verheyen Sep 28 at 17:23

"我学中文" - "I learn Chinese"

"我学了中文" - "I've learned Chinese" [了 after a verb is a verb particle that indicates the verb is completed]

"我学中文了" - Depend on context, it can Imply "我(開始)学中文了" (I have started to learn Chinese) or "我(肯)学中文了" (I am willing to learn Chinese now). 了 after a verb phrase is a verb particle that indicates a change of situation. (change from not learning Chinese to learning Chinese or from unwilling to willing)

In "我学了中文了" (I've learned Chinese), the first 了 is a verb particle and the second 了 is a final particle.

A final particle is a particle placed at the end of a sentence to (a) indicate the sentence has ended (b) soften the tone of speech (c) to stress the sentence itself or add emotional tone to it.

"我学了中文了" is a valid sentence

| improve this answer | |
    imo, 我学了中文了 would sound more like "I've been learning Chinese (for some time now)" though and 我学了中文 would be "I've learned Chinese". – Mat Sep 29 at 15:05

This is typical perfect-continuous in Mandarin: V + 了 + ... + 了。 我学了中文了。 I have been learning Chinese. Usually, there is a duration (length of time) complement: 我学了中文三个月了。 I have been leaning Chinese for 3 months. ... "and still going on" is the center chore in this pattern.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.