The voiced alveolo-palatal sibilant fricative /ʑ/ can be found in Wu words like: thank you. 谢谢 is said to be read:

enter image description here

ʑia ʑia

I'm seeing many resources online claiming that the reading can just be:

谢谢! Yá yà! Thank you!

This gives me the feeling that the inital /ʑ/ might be somewhat stigmatized, perhaps out of convenience or for other reasons.

DEfinitely not "ya" sound, in 江浙话 (we seldon use 吴 Wu any more), "ya ya nong" will be childish way of speaking. The closest I can think of is more on "Xia Xia Nong" side. The headache is, like most of the major dialects in China, Wu 江浙话 also varies in pronunciation and accent from area to area, to the degree that Shanghai people do not admit 温州 dialect is part of 江浙话。 "They are villagers."

• Where are you from? There is no such term as 江浙话 in linguistics. I'm wondering if it's used among a particular group of people? – Betty Nov 2 '20 at 3:59
  • I am from Shanghai. People usually classified our dialect as 吴语, which is more academic. In daily talking, 江浙话 (江苏 and 浙江) is used, which then divided into small area: 上海话、温州话、宁波话 ...... all with differences in accent. – James Liu 刘老师 Nov 11 '20 at 2:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.