I don't understand this dialog at 59:56 in Miss H.K. 2020. Patrick Lam (林溥來) asks contestant #7 Ceci Mak (麥詩晴)

除了你自己,你觉得邊個佳麗同你_跑?

My translation — Besides yourself, which other contestant do you think _跑 with you?

1. I don't know how to write pui in pui pao...陪 or 配?

Mak answers

Roxanne [Ho (何孟珊)], 因为我觉得佢会跑赢.

— Roxanne, because I think she will run win.

Lam then comments

佢明明咩意思。

— She understood the meaning.

1. What's deeper meaning does Patrick Lam allude?

It was "陪跑" = "also-run" (to accompany the one who will win in a competition, with little chance of winning herself)

It came from a Chinese saying 陪太子讀書 (to accompany the prince in studying) meaning 'you are just there to take part, not expecting to win - your role is to make the prince (winner) look good'

The question: "Besides yourself, which contestant do you consider come here to be your also-ran?". The host wanted to ask if she considers herself should win, who will be the runners-up? but "陪跑" might not be a very accurate term to describe the runners-up. If someone ends up being the runner-up, she did have a chance of winning

also-ran: a contestant that does not win

The comment was "佢明唔明咩意思?" (does she understand what it means?) When saying 明唔明/ming4 m4 ming4/ too quickly the /m4/ sound might merge with the beginning of the second /ming4/ and the phrase would sound like /ming(mm)ing(4)/

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.