1. Why wasn't screenshot translated as 屏幕 圖?

2. Isn't 截 inaccurate? I screen shot (coincidence!) 截 on CUHK. Here I 截 the Web page to screen shot just the English meanings, but screenshots can be NOT 截. I can screen shot whole screen.

enter image description here

截 in 截图 (noun) means something similar to 'that is taken', so 截图 in a word means 'the screenshot that is taken'

This becomes clearer if I use 截 as a verb in this context 请(please)你(you)截(take)一张(a)图(screenshot)

The idea of intercept in this case can be explained as that a screenshot is a static image, so you are intercepting something that is running in a moment of stasis.

But 截图 is always used in the context of screenshot, it is assumed that 图 in this case already means (screen)shot. Much like how the word 'image' can change what it refers to in specific context. You can't use 截图 in the context of taking a photo.

Video is a stream of moving images on your screen. A video screenshot is a point you cut into the stream and take one single image from it.

Your computer screen is a video screen. Taking a screenshot on your computer is just like capturing a still frame from a video

截圖 = 'cut image' (from moving image stream)

截圖 could have 2 meanings.

1. the action of screenshot.
  2. the screenshot file.

e.g.

請你把螢幕的畫面截圖(1)後,再把截圖(2)傳到我的電子信箱就可以了。

截 in this case means "to extract" or "to section". In the action of taking a screenshot, we extract or create a section of the screen to be recorded as an image. 截圖 (or 截图 in simplified Chinese) is more of a fixed phrased for both taking a screenshot and the screenshot itself. In China, we do not say 屏幕圖, but we do say 屏幕截圖 (for the image produced by a screenshot) and 截屏 (for taking the screenshot of the whole screen).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.