In the Story 小蝌蚪找媽媽 there is this sentence i cant understand: 小蝌蚪看見小鴨子跟著媽媽在水裏劃來劃去 The tadpole saw the ducklings follow their mama in the water...? Can someone help? thanks a lot for your time.

This is a spelling mistake, and should be written as 「划來划去」.

In Traditional Chinese, 「划」 means to row, to paddle, e.g. 「划龍舟」 (to row a dragon boat). 「劃」 normally means to delimit, to partition 「劃分」 or sometimes to plan 「計劃」.

小蝌蚪看見小鴨子跟著媽媽在水裏划來划去

The wee tadpoles saw the ducklings following their mother in the water, paddling away.

References:

• I'm curious why you said it's a spelling mistake. 劃 is a traditional character for 划. They should be the same, shouldn't they?
    – dan
    Oct 10 '20 at 0:19
  • @dan No, 劃 means something different from 划, they are different characters representing different words. Just like 皇後 is a spelling mistake.
    – dROOOze
    Oct 10 '20 at 0:46
  • Ok, I don't know much about the traditional Chinese. But a quick search in dictionaries suggests it's simply just a variant of 划.
    – dan
    Oct 10 '20 at 2:30
    @dan I don't know what dictionary you checked. Generally, we try to check dictionaries made by language regulatory bodies who regulate the use of Traditional Characters. Since PRC considers Traditional Characters non-standard, any dictionary published in PRC will not correctly describe the standard use of Traditional Characters and their corresponding use in word spelling. I've added a few links (3 Taiwan, 1 HK), feel free to check the individual definitions of 劃 and 划 there.
    – dROOOze
    Oct 10 '20 at 2:52
  • It seems like in traditional Chinese, it has two characters whilst in simplified Chinese there is only one character 划.
    – dan
    Oct 10 '20 at 4:12

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/%E5%88%92#Definitions

划(劃):

1. to row; to paddle

划船 ― huáchuán ― to row a boat

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.