This sentence is from oral Chinese, but I want to understand what 多少 means.

但是我也相对得到多少的感动。

Is 多少 an adverb here? Also, is 感动 a noun?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noKbiu-4YiU

1:23

This is a bad sentence. I don't see the point of analyzing bad sentences.
    – joehua
    Oct 22, 2020 at 4:57
  • This is a site for learners of the language, hopefully seeking help. If every sentence that is put here has to be "good", (otherwise it should ignored or closed), then where is the learning process? Perhaps one could point out why it is a "bad sentence" so that the OP learn something? Oct 23, 2020 at 16:44

3 Answers 3

In "但是我也相对[得到]多少的[感动]。", "得到" is a verb for 'obtain' therefore, "感动" must be a noun for "sensation", and [多少的] would be an adjective for "some"

The problem is, "多少" is short for "多多少少"(somewhat) or "或多或少" (more or less) and it is an adverb, The author tried to add 的 to an adverb to make it an adjective.

From the context, we see the writer wanted to say "某程度上的" (some degree of), which is an adjective, but instead, he added (的) to "多少" to make it an adjective", functions as "some" (一些)

A simpler sentence would be "但是我也相对得到某程度上的感动。" or "但是我也相对得到一些感动。"

• Thanks, this is a really helpful explanation. Oct 29, 2020 at 14:56

What 多少 means?

In this context it means "somewhat"

"Somewhat" is an adverb.

多少的感动 = "somewhat affected / moved / touched"

但是我也相对得到多少的感动。

The sentence doesn't sound right to me. I'd take it as a misuse of 多少. 多少 is used in a question or a exclamatory sentence. e. g. 你有多少钱? 那得是多少钱啊!

• Yes, it's a "bad" sentence, (grammatically & semantically), but we just have to take it as we find it. Making it a "better" sentence would not serve the purpose. We just confine ourselves to answering the OP's specific question. Oct 22, 2020 at 3:05
  • @WayneCheah If it's ungrammatical, it doesn't make any sense to explain the grammar point. The sentence is plain wrong to me. Maybe, it's regional?
    – dan
    Oct 22, 2020 at 3:24
  • What I meant was explain only the specific part of the sentence which the OP's question touches on and not the whole or the rest of the sentence. That was why I just confined my answer to 多少 as OP's specific question was (a) "what 多少 means", and (b) "Is 多少 an adverb here?" It's like a mechanic being asked to fix a car door only, not to repaint the car to another color. Oct 22, 2020 at 5:00
  • It would be different if the question was to comment on or to rewrite the whole sentence, which you could still do, (if you are so inclined), not as an answer but as an ancillary comment. Oct 22, 2020 at 5:08
  • @WayneCheah The OP's question is about the meaning and part of speech in the sentence(which is ungrammatical). If he/she is asking the word 多少 out of that sentence, the dictionary should be able to serve him/her well. How would you answer what the part of speech the word "often" is in the sentence "she's an often student" in English? Is it an adverb or adjective?
    – dan
    Oct 22, 2020 at 6:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.