The following sentence is from a short passage about "体用“ (utilizing/controlling the body) in the context of the 13 Forms of Taiji Quan:

"体用相兼岂有他浩然气能行乎手。掤捋按採挒肘靠進退顾盼定."

My current translation is as follows: "How else besides through control of the body can one have his vast amount of while being able to use the proper push-hands technique (Warding off, shifting, pressing, pushing, plucking, splitting, leaning, advancing and retreating, left, right, center)?"

I feel like I don't fully understand "相兼岂" in the sentence: could anyone confirm their meaning?

1 Answer 1

the chopping of the verse is, . . . incorrect lah 🙀

the “體用歌”

太極拳。十三式。妙在二氣分陰陽。化生千億歸抱一。歸抱一。太極拳。兩儀四象渾無邊。禦風何似頂頭懸。我有一轉語。今為知者吐。湧泉無根腰無主。力學垂死終無補。體用相兼豈有他。浩然氣能行乎手。掤捋擠按採捩肘靠。進退顧盼定。不化自化走自走。足欲向前先挫後。身似行雲。打手安用手。渾身是手手非手。但須方寸隨時守所守。

roughly, “體” means “noumenon“ (本體); “用” means “usage” (使用)

so, the verse “體用相兼豈有他” should be interpreted as:

the noumenon (體) & usage (用), both (相) [should be] taken care of (兼 -> 兼顧); there’s no other way (豈有他)

have fun :)

• Thank you for the clarification! I'm reading more about the concept of “体用” thanks to your advice, and my translation should be a lot better as a result. Nov 9, 2020 at 20:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.