I know in mandarin each relative has a specific name. I tried searching it up, but I can't find anything. Can someone provide me the resources, please?

• In the old days, especially among farming communities, it was not uncommon for 3 -- 4 generations of an extended family living under one roof and thus the need to address each and every member correctly on a daily basis, not by name but by status, and addressing someone's status incorrectly, especially someone older was almost a sin, at least considered ill-mannered. It may seem complicated, but it comes naturally as one is taught as soon as one could speak. Nov 25 '20 at 6:27
  • Just out of curiosity, how could you search for this without finding anything? Typing in "mandarin relatives names" in a search engine gives me a long list of pages that answers this specific question.
    – Olle Linge
    Nov 25 '20 at 7:40
    They used Bing?
    – Mou某
    Nov 25 '20 at 10:18
  • There are also some mobile apps called relative calculation you can check.
    – Shaw
    Nov 26 '20 at 1:50

This may help: 親屬稱謂

enter image description here

Notice:

爺爺 = 祖父

奶奶 = 祖母

外公 = 外祖父

外婆 = 外祖母

伯伯 = 伯父

叔叔 = 叔父

姑姑 = 姑母

嬸嬸 = 叔母

舅舅 = 舅父

舅媽 = 舅母

爸爸 = 父親

媽媽 = 母親

阿姨 = 姨母

堂哥 = 堂兄

表兄弟姊妹 from 姑姑's side are 姑表

表兄弟姊妹 from 姨母's side are 姨表

Husband and wife are 丈夫 and 妻子 (also:老公 and 老婆)

Great grandfather and Great grandmother are 曾祖父 and 曾祖母; 外曾祖父 and 外曾祖母

your 妻子's 哥哥 is your 大舅

your 妻子's 弟弟 is your 小舅

your 妻子's 姊姊 is your 大姨

your 妻子's 妹妹 is your 小姨

Your 丈夫's 哥哥 is your 大伯

Your 丈夫's 弟弟 is your 小叔

Your 丈夫's 姊姊 is your 大姑

Your 丈夫's 妹妹 is your 小姑

• And if your father has more than one wife? Nov 25 '20 at 6:14
  • If your mother is the first wife, the second wife would be your 二媽; If your mother is the second wife, the first wife would be your 大媽. You always call your own mother 媽媽
    – Tang Ho
    Nov 25 '20 at 6:25
  • A slight difference in my family. Maybe because we are Hakkas. I don't know. If I am a child of the first wife, I call the second wife 細婶. Beyond the second wife, I have no idea. Nov 25 '20 at 6:46
  • If your father only has two wives, you can call the second wife 細媽 instead of 二媽. If your father has five wives, and your mother is the first wife, the other wives would be your 二媽,三媽,四媽,五媽 (細媽)
    – Tang Ho
    Nov 25 '20 at 6:55
  • How can the sons and daughters of 姨丈、阿姨 be your 堂兄弟姐妹?They are your 表兄弟姐妹。堂 stands for 祖宗祠堂,people who belong to the same 祖宗祠堂 have the same family name, same bloodline.
    – joehua
    Nov 25 '20 at 21:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.