I have a blog on which I translate Chinese Music. I've come to a halt at the verses

无法容下世间之爱 and 但愿无声自有人在 and 但愿无能自有人在

in the song 臥軌的火車 【火海 The Flame of Love】

I don't quite understand this, even going word by word or word groups, it doesn't make any sense to me.

Could somebody help me out?

心中是一片火海 - My heart is an ocean of fire

无法容下世间之爱 - It cannot contain (accept) any love in the world

但愿无声 自有人在 - Just wish (when I am) voiceless, there is always someone there (to accompany me or speak for me)

但愿无能 自有人在 - Just wish (when I am) powerless, there is always someone there (to accompany me or to help me)

The problem with the phrase '自有人在' (there is naturally/ always someone there) is it doesn't state what that person is supposed to do. I have to presume that someone is there to accompany me or actually be there to help me

Typical usage of '自有':

你不爱我自有人爱我 (you don’t love me, naturally there is someone else who would love me) = Even if you didn’t love me, there is always someone who would love me

Common expression: 山人自有妙計 = I naturally (always) have a good plan

• Quote:- "The problem with the phrase '自有人在' (there is naturally/ always someone there) is it doesn't state what that person is supposed to do." Perhaps this "problem" could be overcome by saying "....there is always someone there for me"? -- like the ever present "Guardian Angel"? Nov 29 '20 at 5:39
  • @WayneCheah That has the same problem; the original text doesn't contain "for me". Either way the translation needs to interpolate (as Tang Ho has already indicated with brackets).
    – yawnoc
    Nov 29 '20 at 6:05
  • so I've got the gist of it before posting this. That's good for me because it comes to show that my Chinese is improving. Yet the translation I wrote was kind of non-sensical, even though I could comprehend somehow, I could not use the proper words to translate it. Thank you very much for your help! Nov 30 '20 at 19:50

Tricky, sounds like lyrics from the renegade province!!

心中是一片火海无法容下世间之爱
My heart is on fire (bursting) with too much love

但愿无声自有人在
if only I had a silent someone there

心中是一片火海无法容下世间之爱
My heart is on fire with too much love

但愿无能自有人在
if only (I ) could 'not have someone there
if only I could live without someone by my side

Reminds me of: "I can't live if living is without you"

• An ocean of fire destroy everything, therefore love cannot exist, and you misinterpreted 自有人在, (there's always someone there); 自有 (自然有) means 'naturally have' not 'self has' (自己有); 'I have' in Chinese is '我有'
    – Tang Ho
    Nov 29 '20 at 13:04
  • Love is a fire of burning passion, for some people at least. That is not to say it destroys itself. You know 自有 = (自然有) and not 自动有 how? Assume you are correct: If you 自有, that is still 有。
    – Pedroski
    Nov 30 '20 at 13:43
  • Love is different from passion. either 自有 = 自然有 or 自动有, you translated it as 'I had' is incorrect. Notice: Something 'naturally happens' will 'happen automatically'
    – Tang Ho
    Nov 30 '20 at 13:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.