I've been practicing on my mandarin Chinese grammar workbook about the use of the 得 particle.

One of the last sentences is "她做练习做的很多", but I'm a bit perplexed because if I were to use 的, I would say " 她做练习的很多", whether with 得 I would say "她做练习做得很多" or "她练习做得很多".

Am I missing something?

Could someone also please explain to me the different meanings that 的 and 得 give to the sentence?

她做练习做得很多 is grammatical. 得 (degree particle) should be followed by a degree and 很多 is indeed a degree.

Strictly speaking, 得, 的 and 地 have different functions, and should not be confused, however, it has become a common practice for many Mandarin speakers to use them all interchangeably, so 她做练习做的很多 or 她练习做的很多 is also acceptable because 的 here is not a noun modifier but a replacement of 得 (verb modifier)

I would omit the first 做 in favour of brevity.

她练习做得很多 would be grammatically correct.

Having said that, 练习 is more used as a verb rather than a noun. Hence a more fluent equivalent expression would be 她经常练习。

• I like 她經常練習。The original 她做练习做的很多 sounds odd, though can be understood.
    – joehua
    Dec 18 '20 at 5:33

她做练习做得很多 is correct. 多 describes 做 which is a verb,so use 得.
Translation: She did exercise (她做练习) and did much (做得很多)

她练习做得很多 is correct, same as 练习她做得很多
Translation: Regarding exercise (练习) she did much (她做得很多)

她做练习做的很多 is also correct. 多 describes 练习 which is a noun, so use 的.
Translation: The exercise what she did (她做的练习) is quite a lot(很多)

她做练习的很多 is not correct.

These forms which end with "很多" especially emphasize the meaning of quite a lot.

The most usual expression is:
她做了很多练习 or 她做了很多的练习
Translation: She did quite a lot of exercise.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.