I heard this from native speakers but am confused about its meaning. I understand every word but this phrase itself does not make much sense to me.

It does not make much sense to me (a native) either.
    – fefe
    Dec 23 '20 at 5:42
  • I've heard this used many times, often jokingly. I think you could treat it asa fixed expression, although i have no idea how common it is. It's certainly not something someone made up on the spur of the moment, though.
    – Olle Linge
    Dec 23 '20 at 7:54
  • if the context is clear, you can reduce long sentences by stating only the keywords and people would still understand
    – Tang Ho
    Dec 23 '20 at 8:08

I remember the the full slang was like 因为所以 科学道理 国家机密 干嘛告你 which was used when this person does not want to explain something, so he/she explains it with nonsense instead. But it was a really old slang we used in primary school in 2000s.

• Yeah, I think that was it. I just recalled it. It's joking. It's a 顺口溜.
    – dan
    Dec 23 '20 at 10:57

This native speaker certainly reduced a sentence to a list of single terms. Let me expand it back to a regular sentence

• 因為所以科學道理 (because therefore scientific truth)

• 因為, 所以, 科學道理. (Because, Therefore, Scientific truth)

• 有 '因為' 之後就有 '所以'. 這是一個科學的道理 (When there is a 'because' we'll have a 'therefore'. It is a scientific truth

Another way to interpret this sentence: '有原因就有結果' 是一個符合科學的道理 ('A cause will be followed by an effect' is a scientific truth)

People don't usually talk like this, maybe the speaker was annoyed, so he reduced a sentence into a single terms list, to express a sentiment of 'I don't want to waste my breath to explain this simple truth to you'

Something similar: 'Guns (bring) Death', (It is this) simple! --> “槍械 (帶來) 死亡”,(就是這麼) 簡單!--> Guns, Death, Simple! --> 槍械,死亡,簡單!

Because.

You know that snarky little one word answer that kids like to give? That's 因为所以(科学道理).

Although, and this is quite bizarre, Cambridge gives almost the exact same English example in its dictionary when explaining the word because:

used before giving a short reason or explanation, especially when you think the reason or explanation is obvious or you do not want to explain more:
"Why does that happen?" "Because science."

I think the translation will be this.

Because it is scientific?

I think you can use this phrase when somebody insists on self-assertion.

If little kids refuse to answer the question "why", they will naughtily reply with the following nonsensical rhyme:

因为所以,科学道理,

化学物理,声学地理。

美国总统,没钱买米。

你妈打你,我不帮你。

which literally means

Because therefore, scientific reason,

chemistry physics, acoustics geography.

POTUS has no money to buy rice.

You mom hit you and I won't help you.

(Note: Don't ask why the grammar is too poor to understand. The original Chinese text is pure nonsense. The original Chinese text is in wrong grammar.)

How can I translate it into English?

No reason.

or

Just because.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.