Looking through the book 四川德阳方言语音演化与接触研究, I came across the following chart excerpt:

表1-6 四川境内非西南官话方言岛与湖广方言特征词对比

enter image description here

In some locales 他 is documented as being read: 佢, tɕi⁵¹ -or- jì, if you prefer.

Places of influence are limited to either:

老湖广话

or

或客家话方言岛

Xiang, Cantonese or Hakka.

Hakka seems to be the most likely, but the readings are all closer to:

gi

rather than ji.

Are there Hakka topolects that read 佢 as [tɕi]? Or perhaps Cantonese topolects? Xiang is not very likely I'm guessing.

Yes there are Hakka varieties that have palatalised 佢 and other former velars in front of front vowels, specifically in various Hakka varieties of Jiangxi and Hunan (寧龍片, 于信片/雩桂片 and 銅鼓片/銅桂片).

Without context, it is rather difficult to determine the tone category of the phonetic "51". But I shall assume it is a 陽平 tone.

A list of pronunciations for in a greater range of Hakka varieties can be found at zdic.net (where it also specifies that it is equivalent to Modern Standard Mandarin 他 for some varieties). I could not however find /tɕi51/ on the list, although there are several /tɕi24/ (陰平 tone, characteristic of 銅桂片).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.