1. Did he pro-claim this quote? I know Modern English didn't exist in his time, thus this is a translation. “Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished” – Lao Tzu : quotes

I disagree. The quote is hyperbolic nonsense. It doesn't even appear in the Tao Te Ching, which leads me to believe that the quote is mis-attributed.

The closest approximation I can find comes from chapter 73: "The way of Heaven (aka Nature) excels in laying plans though it appears to slack."1

1. What did he mean by "everything is accomplished"? What's "everything"?

I read Quora, I think Lao was wrong, because cancer, colds, and flus still can't be cured. In other words, cures haven't been accomplished. Thus everything is NOT accomplished.

• seems pretty straightforward to me, the "everything" is, uh, everything that nature set out do. – 小奥利奥 Jan 1 at 6:37
    Agree, Nature did not hurry to create life, yet life is here on Earth. Nature does not hurry to end mankind, yet the end of mankind is inevitable – Tang Ho Jan 1 at 7:51
  • Quote:- "...cancer, colds, and flus still can't be cured", -- Erhh.....how do we know? living a humanly life span of 70 years on average as compared to the aeons of Nature's life-span, know what could be accomplished in the distant future? In the year 1900 Lord Kelvin, a leading physicist of his day, said, "There is nothing new to be discovered in physics now" And just a few years later along came Albert Einstein. So, as someone once said, "It is very difficult to make predictions, especially about the future" Therefore to say that, now, "Thus everything is NOT accomplished", is premature. – Wayne Cheah Jan 1 at 11:24
  • BTW, colds and flus are "cured" by the body's own immune system. In other words, Nature cured itself, in its own time, unhurriedly. – Wayne Cheah Jan 1 at 11:32

Maybe the original quote is this one:

道常無為而無不為。

——老子 《道德經》

道 (The way/ nature) 常無為 (doesn't do anything) 而(but) 無不為 (everything is done )

• "Je ( nicht-handelnd / untätig / ohne Tätigkeit ) lässt das Dao nichts ungetan."—I agree with the above commenter that 无不为 does not refer to actions of Man, but Nature / Dao. – John Frazer Jan 4 at 6:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.