I am looking for a software that shows a Chinese alphabet/word on my desktop with its pinyin and meaning in English, and each day it will give a different word.

Since I am using a Linux (Ubuntu 18.04) system, I didn't find lot of choices to learn Mandarin on this OS, at the contrary for Windows and Android. The best software that I know and use until now is ZDT (Zhongwen Development Tool), however it doesn't have a desktop memorizing-gadget that I search.

Thank you

• This is not an answer to your question, but Anki is far superior to ZDT, which hasn't been updated for five years. I'm not aware of any plugin that does the desktop integration you want for Anki, which is why this is not an answer to your question, just a suggestion if you can't find anything and consider using ZDT. It makes me a bit nostalgic, though, since I started learning Chinese with ZDT more than 13 years ago. – Olle Linge Feb 3 at 17:22

Maybe Paley is a choice enter image description here

But I don't think the software works very well

• Xiéxié @Han Bingjin. Do you have a link to download it please ? – Lee Feb 3 at 15:30
  • you just need to type in “sudo apt install parley” And you can find more infomation on “apps.kde.org/en/parley – Han Bingjin Feb 4 at 5:12
  • Xiéxié @Han Bingjin – Lee Feb 6 at 20:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.