What is the meaning and usage of 提提大家?please give an example sentence or phrase.

I have seen that the meaning of 提提 is to keep calm, but putting these two in google translate gives me “mention everyone”.

• You tagged Cantonese in this question. Google translate doesn't have a option to translate from Cantonese.
    – dROOOze
    Jan 12, 2021 at 5:48
    I used google translate thinking that the translation might be similar to standard chinese, and assuming that this is not a colloquial phrase or slang.
    – cgo
    Jan 12, 2021 at 5:55
  • Native Chinese here(though I don't like China, it's personal), and I have never in my life seen or heard such a strange expression...
    – user27247
    Jan 14, 2021 at 2:54

2 Answers 2

This question's answer will address two things.

1. the advantage of compound words (specific) over the single character words (general)

2. the function of the reduplicated verbs

提 as a single character verb can mean:

• 提起,提及 (mention)

• 提醒 (remind)

• 提示 (prompt)

• 提起 (lift; pick up)

Example:

別再他了 = 別再提起他了 (Let's don't mention him again)

記得他吃藥 = 記得提醒他吃藥 (remember to remind him to take medicine)

他,讓他自己想 = 別提示他,讓他自己想 (don't prompt him, let him think for himself)

刀斬人 = 提起刀斬人 (pick up a blade and hack people)

It would be much more precise to use compound words 提起,提醒 and 提示 than using the single character verb 提.

A single character verb can be reduplicated to indicate 'briefly; in a slight degree or in a casual manner'

Example:

試學廣東話 = try to learn Cantonese

試試學廣東話 = try to learn Cantonese a little (briefly; in a slight degree or in a casual manner)

看電影,吃飯 = watch movies, eat dinner

看看電影, 吃吃飯 = watch some movies, eat some dinner (indicate a casual manner)

提提大家 = (slightly; briefly) remind everyone

Example sentence:

提提大家,集會時間是晚上九時 = (slightly; briefly) remind everyone, the gathering time is 9:00 pm

It is the same as 稍為提醒大家,集會時間是晚上九時

• thank you for the very substantial explanation. I just would like to point out that there is a very similar structure or nuance in colloquial Filipino. When you repeat some verbs, the idea becomes very casual, brief, indicating a slight manner. This is very fun to know that this idea also exists in canto.
    – cgo
    Jan 14, 2021 at 3:18

It could mean to remind everyone. For example, 請提提大家食飯 would mean to remind everyone to eat a meal.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.