I've heard some people pronunce it zhen and some pronunced it ren (spoken like "you had a hot potato in your mouth") and because of this I am very confused what is the correct pronunciation.

• Quote:- “I've heard some people。。。。。” Maybe if you tell us who these people are we might have a better inkling as to why, because "zhen" & "ren" are quite far apart when spoken correctly, not discounting some punk rock singers might mix it up for special effect. As @Kexi Chen says " I guess it might be pronounced by someone who feels it hard to pronounce 'r-' Yes, especially when you have "a hot potato in your mouth" :) – Wayne Cheah Jan 24 at 8:25
  • Some are from Beijing (the ones that pronunce it "zhen"), and the others are from Chengdu. – capice_0 Jan 24 at 11:53
  • Does this answer your question? Different accents/dialects applicable to the pinyin "r" sound – 小奥利奥 Jan 25 at 1:33
    @WayneCheah By "zhen" I assume OP means the "s" sound in "vision" (IPA [ʒ]) - apparently zh is used by some to represent this sound. This is close enough to [ʐ], one of the realisations of r in Mandarin. By "r" OP probably means the English sound, which is [ɻ] and is also a realisation of "r" in Mandarin. – 范阮煌 Jan 26 at 18:53

In the Mandarin Chinese, it should be 'ren' (with a second tone). About the 'zhen', I guess it might be pronounced by someone who feels it hard to pronounce 'r-' well. Also, there can be some accents which make 人 sort of sounds like 'zhen'.

The place of articulation varies connsiderably from the approximant /ɹ/ sound of the English phonem usually transcribed as /r/. Eng. RP (received pronunciation) is a true retroflex /r/ (like Slavonic pron.) and is also a distinct from what I would here as the initial in 人, or 日 for example. I've lived in several areas and have been exposed to a number of Mandarin and other Chinese dialects. With Chinese pron. I tend to think of what is the most widely understood, rather than correct or incorrect.

"Similar to s in pleasure in English, but with a retroflex articulation. Otherwise, some speakers pronounce it as an English R, but lips are unrounded."

Denti-alveolar and retroflex series

"The retroflex consonants (like those of Polish) are actually apical rather than subapical, and so are considered by some authors not to be truly retroflex; they may be more accurately called post-alveolar.[2][3] Some speakers not from Beijing may lack the retroflexes in their native dialects, and may thus replace them with dentals.[1]:26"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_Chinese_phonology

This is true in my experience.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.