What's the story behind this character 邊? This seems to be another "phonetic-semantic" explanation on this character with 辵 as the semantic and 臱 as the phonetic. But what exactly is 臱? I have never seen this character in any other character besides 邊. Nose 自, hole 穴, and square 方 doesn't seem to make sense to me if I were to break the components.

時期
字體
字形 參考資料

⿱自丙 2.22.16
合集28058
西周
⿰彳臱 大盂鼎
集成2837
西周
邊 散氏盤
集成10176
戰國
石刻文
邊 詛楚文

邊

「邊」 (Baxter-Sagart OC: /*pˤe[n]/, borders [e.g. of a political territory or geographical region]) was originally constructed from semantic 「自」 (from, beginning of [a location]) and phonetic 「丙」 (/*praŋʔ/). To clarify, 「自」 (from) is used to indicate that A political territory starts from its borders.

「自」 indeed was originally a picture of a nose. However, very early on, it was used for a word meaning from [a location], e.g. 《甲骨文合集》24228:

《甲骨文合集》24228

辛酉卜,尹鼎(貞):"王步商,亡(無)𡿧(災)?"

Divination on the day of xīnyǒu, Oracle Yǐn asked: "The King is to set off from Shāng territory. This won't be disastrous, right?"

Later on, 「彳」 (roads) and/or 「辵・辶」 (movement along roads) was added.

Note that, in older characters, 「彳」, 「止」, and 「辵・辶」 are often interchangeable as semantic components. See e.g. Glyph origins of '進'.

「方」 (/*paŋ/, direction, side > neighbouring state 方國) was also either added to the character or replaces 「丙」 as another phonetic component, and perhaps also acts as a semantic component.

「方」 was very early on used to denote neighbouring states to Shāng, e.g. from 《甲骨文合集》6409:

《甲骨文合集》6409

丁酉卜,㱿鼎(貞):"今⿱屮口(早)王廾(供)人五千正(征)土方,⿳爫舟又(受)㞢(有)又(祐)?"

Divination on the day of dīngyǒu, Oracle Què asked: “This morning, the King gathered five thousand people to go on a military expedition towards the State of Tǔ; will they receive Divine Protection?”

Note that 「穴」 is an attempt to capture the shape of 「丙」; there is no functional 「穴」 in the character.

References:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.