What is the difference between 羞辱 and 侮辱? Do they have difference in terms of the contexts where they can be used, or semantically, or syntactically?

羞辱: humiliate (v); humiliation (n)

Example:

加拿大隊在女子曲棍球世界杯中羞辱日本隊13-0 - Team Canada humiliates Team Japan 13-0 in Women Hockey Would Cup

成人被打屁股是一種羞辱 - An adult being spanked is a humiliation

侮辱: insult (v); insult (n)

Example:

不要用這種謊話去侮辱人們的智慧 - Don't use such lies to insult people's wisdom

把那人比作豬是對豬的侮辱 - It is an insult to the pig to compare that person to a pig

羞 has the meaning of 'shame' In a typical hockey game, the score total is around 3-4 goals by both teams, losing 13-0 is a humiliation/ shame. Only children would be spanked by adults, an adult being spanked is a humiliation/ shame

Both 侮 and 辱 mean 'insult'

侮辱 = 'insult'

Basically, an insult (侮辱) makes you feel offended/ angry; A humiliation (羞辱) makes you feel belittled/ humiliated/ angry

羞辱 (n) is similar to 恥辱 (n: humiliation; shame), but 恥辱 cannot be used as a verb

Being naked cause people to feel shame, to strip someone naked is more than a 侮辱. It is a 羞辱; Calling someone names is a 侮辱 but not always a 羞辱, e.g. I wouldn't consider '你這殺人兇手' (You murderer) a 羞辱, but I would consider '你這説謊者'(you liar) as one

• 加拿大隊在女子曲棍球世界杯中羞辱日本隊13-0. I'd not use 羞辱 in such a case and I don't recall seeing 羞辱 being used in such a case. Being defeated is not a 羞辱. You are trying to fit Chinese into English. – joehua Feb 8 at 9:30
  • 以日本冰球隊五比零大破中國隊的世界級水凖,輸十三球是一次羞辱沒錯,如果是 3-1 or 4-2 敗陣,那才算正常賽果,畢竟日本隊曾經在奧運擊敗美國奪冠,不該大敗至雙位數 – Tang Ho Feb 8 at 9:53

I am a native speaker. My opinions come from my daily life, which I think may help you. And I also found my opinions different from the last answer. I do not know the reasons. But if the opinions from last answer come from some notebooks or notes, please follow them because they can help you get higher marks in a test. "羞辱" and "侮辱" are actually almost the same words in our daily life. And they can be both used as nouns or verbs. If you still want to know what the excat differences between the two words, we can figure out by their forms. The character "羞" in word "羞辱" means making people shy when it used as a verb. The character "侮" in word "侮辱" means making people offended when it used as a verb. That's all and you may find that it is still difficult to identify what behaviors only make you shy and what only make you offended because they always make you feel both of them. That is the fact. So do not care about their differences and you can use one of them as you want. (I would like you to use "侮辱" because "羞辱" was usually used in spoken language.) And there is a point that I want to mentioned, which may help you understand some traditional Chinese movies. That is when Chinese people want to say a female was raped unfortunately, they may replaced the word "rape" by the word "侮辱" when they are talking about. This replacement always ease the embarrassment.

Quote: "I am a native speaker'. This statement doesn't make your opinion more valuable than mine. 'shy'(羞) is caused by 'shame' (恥) , and being 'shamed' is a 'humiliation'. We usually replace 被強姦(raped) with 被污辱 (defiled) or 被強暴 (violated) or 被侵犯 (assaulted), not 被羞辱 (humiliated) or 被侮辱 (insulted) – Tang Ho Feb 8 at 6:05
  • I felt this answer almost correct. 羞辱 is rare used today. And it would be main difference. – tsh Feb 9 at 2:09
  • @TangHo this question discuses difference between 侮辱 and 羞辱. Not 污辱. – tsh Feb 9 at 2:24
  • 羞辱 About 33,200,000 results (0.62 seconds) – Tang Ho Feb 9 at 2:58
    @tsh I was replying whx's statement about avoiding the term 'raped' and replace it with '侮辱' instead, which is obviously not correct – Tang Ho Feb 9 at 3:03

"羞辱" and "侮辱" are a pair of 同义词 but are different in 词义轻重.

有些同义词之间存在词义轻重的差别(e.g. "请求""恳求")……有些同义词之间存在用法或搭配上的区别(e.g. "坚定""坚强")……有些同义词所指范围有差别(e.g. "时代""时期")……有些同义词存在集体和个体的不同(e.g. "布匹""布")……还有些同义词在语体风格上存在差异(e.g. "父亲""爸爸")……

——《语文》(七年级上册), People's Educaiton Press, 2016, Beijing

"羞辱" and "侮辱" are different in 词义轻重. Let's take a look at 《现代汉语词典》(第7版):

【羞辱】①[名]耻辱。②[动]使受耻辱。

【侮辱】[动]使对方人格或名誉受到损害,蒙受耻辱。

So, in my opinion, "侮辱" is more aggressive. In other words, 侮辱的词义比羞辱重.

Also, "羞辱" means to insult the other person to make the other person feel ashamed.

Happy Chinese New Year!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.