I know that 是谁打电话过来呢 means "who is calling?" but I don't know how to parse it:

• why is 是 at the beginning?
  • not sure about the meaning of 过来. Is 电话过来 a standard combination?
  • why 呢? I thought it is used for "what about...?" questions.
  1. This sentence has an abbreviated 的 in 是誰打電話過來的呢. 是~的 is a very common construction that you must remember; it is used for emphasis. In your sentence, you would like to emphasise who called. Basically, 誰打電話過來 (who called) is the question without any emphasis.

2. 打~過來 should be seen together, not 電話過來. For details please see my explanation on the auxiliary verb 來 here. In general, 來 may (1) indicate an observed movement caused by the main verb (打) towards the speaker; or (2) the start (or in a more abstract sense, consequence) of the action caused by the main verb. Here, it emphasises someone called as if the call approached the speaker. A more semantically accurate translation of 打~過來 is 'to call here'.

3. Your statement on 呢 is irrelevant in this situation. While 嗎 is a question particle for yes/no questions, 呢 is a question particle for 5W1H words, in this case 'who'. Therefore,

是誰打電話過來的嗎(✖)
是誰打電話過來的呢(✓)
Who is it that called?

是他打電話過來的呢(✖)
是他打電話過來的嗎(✓)
Is it he who called?
    Thank you. I know about the 是~的 construction and I suspected that my example was related. I just didn't know that the final 的 can be omitted. Regarding my last question, I thought that 谁 was enough to make that sentence a question. Feb 15 at 21:17
  • Hi @AlexanderVorobiev, you are right, both 是誰打電話過來? and 是誰打電話過來的? are grammatically sound, despite the absence of a question particle. You may see here for when to use 呢: eastasiastudent.net/china/mandarin/four-uses-呢. As for 的 omission, it is fine unless the ~的 indicates possession, such as 是我的 (lit. is mine); in that case 是我 would mean differently (lit. is me).
    – L Parker
    Feb 16 at 1:29

[是谁] = [(it) is who]

打 = dials

电话 = phone

[打电话] = [makes phone call]

过 = over

来 = toward here

[过来] (verb particle indicates the direction of the verb)

[呢?] (particle indicate a question, but not a yes or no question )

是谁打电话过来 = who makes the phone call (coming in/ toward here) = who called (in) here?

Similarly:

是谁打电话过去 = who makes the phone call (going out/ toward there) = who called (out) there?

1.这句话是正确的, 是谁=谁,用于句子开头都是可以的。 2.从打电话一方来说,是打过去;从接电话一方是打过来。 2.呢是语气词,在不同句子中不同含义。可以用于选择疑问句。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.