Came across this on Reddit/Jokes today

An Englishman is hiking in Scotland and he pauses to drink from a stream. A passing shepherd calls out "Dinnae drink frae that, it's all fulla coo piss an shite!"

The Englishman says to him in a cut-glass accent "I'm terribly sorry, my good fellow, would you very much mind repeating that in the Queen's English?" And the shepherd says "I'm terribly sorry sir, I was only asking if you would like to borrow this tin cup and get a proper drink?"

One of the comments says:

In Hong Kong, you get the same joke but with mandarin elitists and Cantonese speakers.

Apparently a lot of similar language jokes are about poison and not just contaminated water.

Any idea what the joke is in Cantonese?

• What does mean "Dinnae drink frae that"? ('Don't drink that'?)
    – starckman
    Feb 20 at 16:28
    @starckman Probably: Don't drink from that
    – Mou某
    Feb 20 at 16:33
  • Until someone comes up with the joke, here's one to warm things up. Q: 一块三分熟的牛排在街上走着,突然他在前方看到一块五分熟的牛排,可却没有理会他 …他们为什么没打招呼? A: …因为他们不熟! Feb 21 at 9:17
  • There is a Cantonese VS. English Elitist one: 香蕉 didn't have an English name until one day an English man saw a Cantonese guy eating one. This English man said to his friend: "Do the Cantonese know how stupid they look when they eat this yellow fruit like a monkey?" Unexpectedly, that Cantonese did know English and got very angry. He beat that English man with the 香蕉 over his head and yelled:" 笨吖嗱?! 笨吖嗱?!" (Stupid, huh?! Stupid, huh?!). And That's how 香蕉 got named Banana in English. -- (笨吖嗱 is pronounced 'ban6 a1 na2' )
    – Tang Ho
    Feb 21 at 21:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.