How do you express something similar to “up close and personal”?

Like this sentence: She likes to get up close and personal.

• “Up close and personal” could mean a few different things. It may help if you elaborate on exactly what it is that you are trying to express here. – Mou某 Feb 21 at 12:57

Depending on the context and the desired nuance, there can be different translations for this expression. I shall follow the main definitions given by Farlex Dictionary of Idioms:

1. adjective Very physically close to someone or something. Hyphenated if used before a noun.

蘇菲亞告訴我,她會在我們的衝浪之行中當我的私人教練。我喜歡這個主意,因為這就表示我們可以有近距離的接觸

Sofia has told me she would be my personal instructor on our surfing excursion. I like that because it means we will be getting up close and personal with each other.

The above example is from here. 有近距離的接觸 (lit. to have contact in close distance) is a rather neutral saying. Other slightly more intimate adjectives that can be added before 接觸, with or without 的, include 親密 and 密切. Alternatively, the verb 親近 can be used if a specific object is identified, as in

她喜歡親近你。

She likes to be close to you.

2. adjective Very intimate and personal, especially to an uncomfortable or unwanted degree. Hyphenated if used before a noun.

我不喜歡男人在最初數次的約會上便跟我套近乎

I don't like it when guys try to get too up close and personal in our first couple of dates.

套近乎 has a derogatory meaning and is rather colloquial. Here provides the definition 'to worm one's way into being friends with someone'. Usually there is an ulterior purpose implied.

3. adverb In a very close and intimate manner or to such a degree.

那些審計師對於我們的財務習慣瞭如指掌

The auditors got to know our financial habits very up close and personal.

This specific sense is best translated as the idiom 瞭如指掌 (lit. knowing something as clear as pointing that on one's palm to others).

I would say the given sentence can be translated as 她喜歡與人有親密接觸 or 她喜歡跟別人套近乎. There may be better translations than these.

If you mean she's a nosey b....

她喜欢窥探别人的隐私。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.