Since Chinese. Japanese and Korean have no alphabetical writing system how do those people sort their dictionaries?

The second system of dictionary organization is by recurring graphic components or radicals. (...) As most Chinese characters are semantic-phonetic ones (形聲字), the radical method is usually effective, thus it continues to be widely used in the present day. However, sometimes the radical of a character is not obvious. To compensate this, a "Chart of Characters that Are Difficult to Look up" (難檢字表), arranged by the number of strokes of the characters, is usually provided.

Here is what a chart of radicals in a dictionary looks like

enter image description here

• You can otherwise search a character by its pinyin if you know it.

See also: https://www.quora.com/How-do-you-look-up-Chinese-characters-in-a-Chinese-dictionary

• Thank you, my question was moved from the Language Learning forum, so I decided to generalize my question. Now I think it belongs back to the first forum again. I you know someone who can move it back that would be great. – Demis Feb 24 at 19:41
    @Demis Please don't change a question after an answer has been provided. Minor edits such as typos and clarifications are OK, but moving the goalposts is not. – Tsundoku Feb 25 at 2:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.