Recently I came across a lesson in a textbook that was about money, numerals, and quantities in general. There was a puzzling entry claiming that 1000.20元 should be pronounced as 一千块零二毛。 Honestly, I don't get how is there a 零 after 块? I mean, shouldn't 一千块 already mean that we're done with the integer part, in a way, and we're about to tell the fraction? Or do I get it wrong completely?

This has nothing to do with counters but the numerating system.

Whenever there is a jump in the place values - in your case, a jump from 1 thousand dollars (千塊) to 2 0.1 dollars (毛) - 零 must be inserted in between for the sake of completeness. (You may think of $1000.2 as having 0 百塊, 十塊, and 塊, hence the jump.)

So you would expect the same goes for 1050 as 一千零五十, not 一千五十, because 十 does not immediately follow 千, or equivalently, 百 is missing.

Conversely, for 1500, no 零 is needed between 一千 and 五百, because the 百 counter immediately follows 千. Some may argue both are fine, but frankly 一千五百 is more concise and understandable.

• So, in that case, 1000.02元 is..? – Simullacra Feb 26 at 6:36
  • @Simullacra 一千元零二仙 – L Parker Feb 26 at 7:25
    You can shorten 一千五百 to 一千五。 – joehua Feb 26 at 7:35
  • Or more colloquially 千五; but dropping of 百 is only allowed when there are two place values in the number only and the one dropped is immediately smaller than the other. The 一 from 一千五 is understandably dropped because there is only that one thousand. – L Parker Feb 26 at 7:54
  • 一千五 is a quite common practice in daily conversation. 千五 is not, it can have any number from 1 to 9 in front of 千. In OP's case, 零 represents the decimal point, similar to "one thousand point 2 dollars", or "one thousand dollars and twenty cents". If eliminated, it will cause confusion - .一千块二毛錢 :) – r13 Mar 29 at 4:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.