I am trying to visualise this image for 父. What exactly is this image ?

enter image description here

時期
字體
字形 參考資料

父 405
合集19941

父 父癸方鼎
集成1275
西周
父 父辛簋
集成3060
春秋
父 魯大宰𨙅父
集成3987
戰國
父 126
包山竹簡
西漢
父 86
定縣竹簡
東漢
父 北海相景君

父

「父」 (father) depicts a hand 「又」 holding a rod, likely as a symbol of the household disciplinarian, which is traditionally the father.

The shape 「父」 is connected to the shapes 「攴・攵」 and 「殳」, both pictures of a hand holding a hitting implement, and both meaning to hit, strike.

References:

Edit: (After watching the episode of 字裡尋根 that explained the origin of 父 and 斧, I completely changed my answer)

enter image description here

父 is a symbol of a hand holding a tool/weapon. (to protect and provide is the father's duty)

It is the phonic component of the character 斧 (axe); 斤 was a shape of the knife, adding the phonic component 父 made the character 斧.

父

In ancient time, the father of the family was the one handling tool/weapon, and this tool/weapon is most likely an axe.

• Is this axe or rod or stick ? Can you visualise that old instrument? Are the two sides hands? Or it was part of instrument?
    – user27485
    Feb 27 at 22:28
  • I thought the axe's head and the handle is clearly illustrated
    – Tang Ho
    Feb 28 at 0:39
    A visualization could help. We'd probably expect something more like a Γ (capital Gamma from the Greek alphabet), but instead it looks more like a T (capital T from the English alphabet). Perhaps it's like the one in this picture? Though a lot of us may've been looking for an axe more like this.
    – Nat
    Feb 28 at 6:19
    @Nat Indeed. Wood-cutting axes are ; battle-axes are or . 父 being an axe lacks paleographic evidence; although a rather well-known scholar once made this argument, it isn't an orthodox POV in the field.
    – dROOOze
    Feb 28 at 6:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.