Is there any on-line source for Howard Goldblatt's article "Why I hate Arthur Waley."?  It is in Translation Quarterly (1999) No. 13 & 14,  pp.33 -- 48. 

I have even found pictures of Goldblatt on the stage where he delivered the talk, in Hong Kong. But so far I find no written copy (or video) on-line, even through my university library.  I will say I hope he is being ironic about "hating" Waley.  But however that may be, I would like to know what he says.

Baidu Wenku has a copy.

It's free it doesn't require any points or coins or whatever their currency is. Just click 下载文档.

Google Books also seems to have a scanned copy here from the book China and Her Biographical Dimensions. Although, it appears that some pages may be missing?

Here's the individual images extracted from the PDF

enter image description here

• Terrific. Even with two pages missing, the Google books conveys a great deal of what Goldblatt says. But when I click on Baidu Wenku it tells me I should have the Baidu app. I might go ahead an install it. Do you see a way to download without installing it? Instead of downloading a new app, now that I have seen the bulk of the essay, I might just have my library get the book so I can use it at leisure to get quotes and citations. – Colin McLarty Feb 28 at 16:54
  • @ColinMcLarty I'm not sure. I'm logged into Baidu on my browser and it downloads immediately on PC. I've added the individual images from the PDF into my answer but I can also upload the PDF somewhere for you if you'd like. – Mou某 Feb 28 at 18:05
  • @ColinMcLarty This is the link: we.tl/t-lqkOfVXPqD. You should have also received an email as well. – Mou某 Feb 28 at 22:24
  • @ Mou某 Got it! Thanks. – Colin McLarty Feb 28 at 22:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.