How can I answer the question "你什么时候开始学中文的?" I cannot answer the "什么时候" questions. Can anybody help me please?

• In my view, the "的" implies that the studying had already started and the question is when. Apr 3 at 14:58

'什么时候' = 'what time' = 'when'

You can answer with one of the following:

1. [Since the time of ]. E.g. "Started since 2016" (從 2016 年開始)

2. [from a length of time ago]. E.g. "Started from five years ago" (五年前开始)

Q: "你什么时候开始学中文的?"

A: "我是從2016年開始学中文的"/ "我是五年前开始学中文的" (long version)

A: "從2016年開始"/ "五年前开始" (short version)

A: "2016"/ "五年前" (shortest version, just state a year or a length of time ago)

More example of '什么时候' question:

Q: 你什么时候吃晚飯的?

A: 晚上七時 (a time) If the question is about what is the regular time you have dinner'

A: 三小時前 (a length of time ago) If the question is about what specific time you ate your dinner tonight

• In your view is 几时 more appropriate than 时候 in the specific context of the question? As in 你几时开始学中文的? Apr 3 at 7:28
  • I would say 几时 is a more colloquial form of 什么时候. e.g. 我几时叫你做笨蛋了? = 我什么时候叫你做笨蛋了?
    – Tang Ho
    Apr 3 at 7:35
  • I asked because normally it is "when", i.e. a certain date when a person starts learning a language, not "what time" as 什么时候 would mean. Unless of course the context is clear that a specific time is asked for, like what time your Chinese language classes start. Apr 3 at 7:39
  • @Wayne Cheah Now you mentioned it, 几时 seems more specific and 什么时候 is more general. Meaning 明天 or 十二點 can be the answer to 什么时候出發; and 十二點 would be the better answer to 几时出發
    – Tang Ho
    Apr 3 at 8:03

"你什么时候开始学中文的?"

When did you start learning Chinese?

"你什么时候开始学中文?"

When will you start learning Chinese?

Answer the same as you do in your language: if someone asks about time, name a time in your answer!

"你什么时候开始学中文的?"

Possible answers:

下周一。 Next Monday.

下年八月。 Next year in August.

在冬季。 In winter.

从来没学过。 I never studied Chinese.

我不用学啊,我就是中国人! Don't need to study, I'm Chinese!

• The question is followed by a , means it is asking about a fact in the past. So the answer should not be a time in the future. Also, 下年 is technically wrong, it should be 明年 as the next year. 下半年 is valid, though. It means the second half of this year.
    – Hao Wu
    May 6 at 4:58
    You are right! Thank you for telling me, I get carried away sometimes and forget to think clearly!
    – Pedroski
    May 6 at 12:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.