This feels like the opposite of 减/減 (Reduce/Subtract/Decrease/Diminish): What's it got to do with water?. I read 演 = 氵+ 寅 but what's it got to do with water!? How did it get its modern meanings?. I screenshot Yellowbridge.

enter image description here

Please explain definitions 4-5 from Wiktionary, as they differ from the standard definitions 1-3.

1. (Cantonese) Modal particle expressing emphasis.
  2. (Taishanese) need to (do something); have to

添 is related to water because 添 is mostly referred to adding/refilling of liquid' e.g. 添酒,添水,添油 (add wine, add water, add oil)

酒 and 油 are not 水 but all characters related to liquid use 氵 as its radical, and 添 is too -- The most common and easy thing to add is liquid

添 = add --> also -->futhermore

Cantonese uses 添 as a modal particle expressing emphasis, which implies 'just remember/ be reminded'

Example:

唔記得買米 = forgot to buy rice

唔記得買米(添) = (oh/ouch/ just remember) forgot to buy rice

冇米點煮飯? = how can dinner be cooked with no rice

冇米(添)!點煮飯? = (oh/ouch/ just remember) there is no rice, how can dinner be cooked?

仲唔記得買米 = still/ also forgot to buy rice

仲唔記得買米(添)/ 仲(添)唔記得買米 = (furthermore), also forgot to buy rice

(Taishanese) need to (do something); have to

Taishanese user please answer this part

• Did you discuss 水 in your answer? – hims Apr 11 at 20:45
  • @hims I thought water is related to add is obvious, e.g. 添酒,添水,添油 (add wine, add water, add oil) The most common and easy thing to add is liquid. 酒 and 油 are not 水 but all characters related to liquid use 氵 as its radical, and 添 is too – Tang Ho Apr 11 at 20:59
  • Thanks. Sorry, it's not obvious how 'water' is related to 'add'. "The most common and easy thing to add is liquid." Perhaps, but I don't know chemistry and I'm not sure. I'll believe you though. – hims Apr 11 at 21:09

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.