There is a recent Chinese Stack Exchange question on the significance of in 尤其, given the meaning of the word is largely contributed by .

I am quite confident that some of the answers in the thread are incorrect – i.e., is not a pronoun in 尤其 (neither personal, as in 其貌不揚; nor demonstrative, as in 其餘). I therefore suspect it should be a modal particle, traceable to classical Chinese, that helps provide emphasis.

I then looked up an article that suggests the grammaticalisation (虛化) of is especially prominent when matched with another character, e.g. in 與其 and 殆其:

與其譽堯而非桀也,不如兩忘而化其道。《莊子·內篇》

(with meaning 'to concur', seems to be an imperative/optative)

國不忌君,君不顧親,能無卑乎?殆其失國。《左傳·昭公十一年》

( suggests uncertainty which reinforces )

However, I could not find examples of 尤其 in the source. My questions are:

1. Are there quotable examples of 尤其 in classical Chinese that supports really is a modal particle, as described in the article?

2. I can think of 尤其, 何其, and 與其 as common words used in modern Chinese that probably have as a modal particle. Any similar examples?

one more example where 其 might retain a modal origin is 极其 (not to be confused with 及其, where it is of pronominal origin) – blackgreen Apr 16 at 21:44

Classical Chinese (先秦)use 尤其 which has different meanings, not today's meaning.

For example,

子不諭至言而以為尤也。尤其在子矣。(列子·仲尼)

尤 wrong
其 (emphasize, no real meaning)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.