I am trying to translate this sentence I want to apply my knowledge to solve real world problems, and as far as I can think, I got this translation in my mind 我想用我的知識來解決現實世界的問題, but I don't know if the translation is weird or if there is a better translation. Asking you guys for help, thanks!

nothing wrong with the translation
    – Tang Ho
    May 16 at 4:29
  • It is absolutely correct, but I suppose you to add a "中" between "世界" and "问题".
    – T-Pioneer
    May 16 at 7:47

I think it can be translated as 学以致用.

学以致用 or 學以致用 is a Chinese idiom which means to study something in order to apply it. It probably comes from 《论语 子张》.

The original text is

百工居肆以成其事,君子学以致其道

by English

Workers toil and moil in the workshops to complete their job, while men of honor seek Tao by learning.

As for your sentence I want to apply my knowledge to solve real world problems, I can provide several translations for you to select from.

• 我想学以致用
  • 我希望能(够)学以致用
  • 我心怀学以致用的信念(梦想\理想)
  • This is beautiful! Thanks for your help!
    – sugaarrrr
    Jun 7 at 14:46

I want to apply my knowledge to solve real world problems.
我想要将我的知识应用到解决实际问题中。

• I think 'solve' in the original sentence is redundant and can be omitted in translation. Technically, your translation corresponds better to 'I want to apply my knowledge to solving real world problems.'
    – L Parker
    May 16 at 9:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.