This is a little bit embarrassing, considering I'm currently studying HSK6-level content, but I cannot memorize how to write the HSK4 words:

建议 (jiàn​yì​)
CC-CEDICT: to propose / to suggest / to recommend / proposal / suggestion / recommendation / CL: 個|个, 點|点

意见 (yì​jiàn​)
CC-CEDICT: idea / opinion / suggestion / objection / complaint / CL: 點|点, 條|条

So...

Question: What's a mnemonic for remembering the characters in 建议 and 意见?

建议: to build (建) an argument (议). May think of 建议 as being constructive. 意见: the opinion (n. 见) of sb's mind (意).
    – L Parker
    May 19 at 3:29

Just remember:

建立 - erect

议論 - theory

建议 (raise theories) --> to suggest (v) --> suggestion (n)

~

意 - mind

见 - see

意见 (mind see) --> idea ; opinion

Just associate the single characters in these compound words with other related compound words. In short, cross reference them

Also see 认识 vs 知道 based on glyph origins

建议 - Suggest, offer an idea.

意见 - One's idea, opinion.

讓我提供一個建议, 看大家的意见如何. Allow me to provide a suggestion, and see everybody's idea/opinion.

這是我的建议, 你的意见如何? This is my suggestion, how you feel about it (based on your idea/opinion).

我建议如此進行, 你有意见嗎? I suggest proceed with this way, do you have a different idea/opinion.

我的意见和你的建议背道而馳. My idea/opinion is opposite to your suggestion.

Here is a pair that may confuse you, but would help if you can figure out the differences.

我不贊同你的建议. I don't agree with your suggestion (I disapprove of the idea provided)

我不贊同你的意见. I don't agree with your idea/opinion (I disapprove of the thought).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.