I want to ask, “他演讲得很精彩”, is this sentence correct or not? Is “演讲” a verb or a noun?

他演讲得很精彩 sounds unnatural because we mainly use 演讲 as a noun for 'speech'. It is also possible to use it as a verb for 'to make a speech' in some context, e.g. 明天要上台演讲 (have to go on stage to make a speech tomorrow)

• Use 演讲 as a noun and say "他的演讲很精彩" is the most natural way to phrase it.

• If you must use 演讲 as a verb, it is more natural to say 他演讲讲得很精彩 or simply "(這次演讲 - implied topic)他讲得很精彩"

• In most cases, the verb 演讲 can be reduced to just 讲

Example:

明天要上台演讲黑暗物質的理論 --> 明天要上台讲黑暗物質的理論 (when you speak on a stage, it is giving a lecture/ speech)

Yes, it is correct. 演讲 can function as either a verb or a noun.

他演讲得很精彩

He speaks brilliantly.

演讲(verb) to speak in public/ orate/ give a speech

精彩 (adverb) brilliantly, wonderfully

他的演讲很精彩

His speech is brilliant.

演讲(noun) speech/ oration

精彩 (adjective) brilliant, wonderful

1. In terms of grammar, it is correct. 演講 can be either a verb ('to lecture') or a noun ('lecture'); here it is a verb. It means 'He lectures wonderfully'.

2. Personally I would phrase it like 他的演講很精彩 ('His lecture was wonderful'). Although nominalisation is a feature of westernised Chinese (歐化中文), it is okay when used sparingly and properly. That is to say this is a matter of style, not of grammar.

Based on the corresponding English grammar, this sentence is correct.

"演讲" is a verb. We judge it by the word "得", which is usually just after the verb.

However, I would like to say "他讲得很精彩" and "他的演讲很精彩" instead of "他演讲得很精彩".

演讲 means that lots of people seriously listen professional talk about something in a hall.

We view this a bit formal scenario as a noun in Chinese.

1. If our emphasis is 精彩, a formal word to illustrate this talk is redundant, 讲 is completely okay.

2. If our point is indeed the presentation itself, as I said, 演讲 should act as a noun.

演 and 讲 both are verbs if used separately, but together, 演讲 (an event), is a noun. The example sentence essentially has no verb, thus, while understandable, it is not Grammarly correct, nor sounded good.

The correct way should be 他的演讲說得很精彩, in which 說 is the verb. Or 他讲得很精彩, here, 讲 is the verb.

• 演讲 in 明天要上台演讲 is a verb; 演讲 in 明天要上台發表演讲 is a noun – Tang Ho May 19 at 22:03
  • @Tang Ho IMO, in the example, 演 (perform) is the verb, 讲 (speech) is the noun. The English equivalent is "..... to perform a speech tomorrow". – r13 May 19 at 22:42
  • 'to perform a speech' is a verb phrase, just like 攻城 (to siege a castle/city) is a verb phrase despite 城 being a noun. '明天要上台演讲' means 'have to go on stage to perform a speech' in which 演讲 (perform a speech) is a verb – Tang Ho May 19 at 22:57
  • 演奏, 演唱, 演讲 are the same kind of verbs (表演奏樂; 表演唱歌; 表演讲說) – Tang Ho May 19 at 23:03
  • @Tang Ho 奏, 唱, 讲, all are verbs of individual acts without 演. 奏楽, 唱歌, 讲課. – r13 May 19 at 23:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.