Why are some characters preferred in some areas more than others? I am referring to 綫 vs 線 in Hong Kong. They mean the same thing right?

I was also reading some articles related to the Dragon Boat Festival, why is 粽 preferred, but I also see the character 糭 in some (but really rare occasions).

Would you have other examples?

Does this answer your question? Traditional 綫 vs. 線?
    – L Parker
    May 23, 2021 at 15:26
  • No. They are not the same, 綫 means boundary line as 前綫, 界綫, whereas 線 is the tangible thread, string line, 縫衣線, 毛線, 情牽一線. Your question is too broad, as there are regional differences, as well as differences between traditional and simplified Chinese.
    – r13
    May 23, 2021 at 18:44

1 Answer 1

This is called 异体字 and I don't know this concept in English. In the old days, there are often multiple characters for a single 字, if you know some japanese kanji, you would even find more 异体字, some even different from those in China.

• Corresponding English concept should be spellings, e.g. favor v.s. favour, analyse v.s. analyze, and travelled v.s. traveled. The connection to kanji is fantastic!
    – Sherry869
    Jun 28, 2021 at 16:40
  • Right! It is indeed an analogy!
    – ramhuw
    Jul 2, 2021 at 8:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.