Watching this YouTube video: 20121114 03 湖南 湖南一男子下班开滑翔伞回家 笑言空中无红灯 @ ~1:10 the reporter says, what sounds to me like:

滑翔伞只要两万余元(gen)

then a second later he goes on:

加上动力机器只要六万余元(gen)

Looking at the Wiki page for 湘语 it does note that:

元 ŋuĩ

The pronunciation of 元 in Xiang has an ŋ inital.

Is this just a mishap mashup of:

• Initial ŋ from Xiang 元
  • Final uan from, attempted, MSM 元

That results in a gen sounding pronunciation for 元? Seems plausible to me.

Is this a feature of Xiang pidgin, 湘普, (the mix of Xiang and MSM)?

The reporter's y sounds like ʝ or ɟ to me, not /g/
    – 范阮煌
    Commented Jun 4, 2021 at 13:46
  • Not sure if this is relevant, but I have noticed exactly the same pronunciation before, but I'm not sure exactly where, except that it was a Taiwanese news broadcast. My guess is that it's a personal idiosyncrasy of some kind rather than an accent, but I could be wrong.
    – Olle Linge
    Commented Jun 7, 2022 at 7:46

3 Answers 3

No, it is the standard mandarin pronunciation, possibly, you hear (?yuen), misheard this as gen.

The pronunciation of "gen" is similar to "跟" and "根", but the author says "yuan" = 元.

• As it’s currently written, your answer is unclear. Please edit to add additional details that will help others understand how this addresses the question asked. You can find more information on how to write good answers in the help center.
    – Community Bot
    Commented Jun 7, 2022 at 14:08

This is offered for information only.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.