I am looking for a list that has a 1-on-1 mapping between common Beijing and Standard Chinese vocabulary. For instance, a native from Beijing one would say things like 今儿 and 這兒 which could then be mapped respectively to 今天 and 這裡 in standard chinese.

In lack of a better word I used "Standard Chinese" to refer to the way people in other parts of China speak which (for instance Shanghai) where they do not use erhua when speaking Chinese.

• This is a good question! One complication is that I've observed a three-way split between a/ Beijing Mandarin (lots of 儿化), b/ Mainland Newscaster Mandarin (some 儿化, but only in some words), and c/ Southern and Taiwanese Mandarin (almost no 儿化). E.g., 今儿 in a/ but not b/ or c/, which use 今天; 这儿 in a/ and b/ but not c/, which uses 这里. – Stumpy Joe Pete Jun 3 at 3:20
  • That is correct. I have also noticed that on HSK they sometimes have er hua. Thus, the best would be to have such a list that groups based on frequency based on high or low usage. But I would also be gladly accept any unfiltered 1-on-1 mapping. – Alexander Jun 3 at 6:05
    It’s probably easiest just to look through Beijing topolect dictionaries. – Mou某 Jun 3 at 7:27
  • I can contribute several, 掉点儿 raindrops start to drop; 搌布 -> 抹布 dishcloth; 朋友之间称对方父母 咱妈,咱爸 your mother, your father. – Zhang Jun 4 at 2:39

北京話 basically has a lot of 兒化音, once in a few words they will 兒化 it. Even as a native Chinese speaker, I'm not quite used to it lol

Not 100% what you're looking for, but there's a twitter bot called 北京话bot that tweets lots of (what seem to me to be) Beijing colloquialisms.

https://twitter.com/BeijingHua

It gives some explanations of the terms it mentions, in 普通话. Not really a reference but it is quite interesting I think.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.