I hear people say "以前没钱买华为,现在没钱买华为", in which 华为 is the brand name of a mobile phone, and I understand this pun (if so) tries to illustrate the development of this brand but do not really get the hang.

• It's more obvious if we add couple of words: 以前(因为)没钱(所以)买华为 - cheap,现在没(那么多)钱买华为 - expensive。
    – dan
    Jul 13, 2021 at 10:25

3 Answers 3

以前没钱 买华为 I had no money before, so I bought Huawei (It shows Huawei was cheap

现在 没钱买华为 Now I have no money to buy Huawei (It shows Huawei is expensive)

• Could it be that Huawei was so expensive that I could not afford it, but now even poor people are able to buy one because it becomes cheap--Simply put, the reverse of what you said, because it could be explained in either way? Jul 17, 2021 at 2:19

This joke illustrated how punctuation can change the meaning of a sentence

At a glance 以前没钱买华为,现在没钱买华为 means "I don't have money to buy a Huawei phone in the past and I still don't have money to buy one now". It is a standard way to interpret a sentence like this, but we knew it is a joke, there must be some twist between the words

With punctuation, the meaning of the sentence is changed and that's the pun

以前没钱,买华为 = I was poor before, so I bought a Huawei phone (It was cheap)

现在, 没钱买华为 = Now, I can't afford to buy a Huawei phone (it is expensive)

Orally, you have to pause at the right places to get the pun

以前没钱 买华为

现在 没钱买华为

Another example I often use

下雨天留客 (rainy day keep the guest here)

天留人不留 (but the host wouldn't let the guest stay)

~

"下雨天,留客天。留人不? 留!"("It is a rainy day, a day to keep the guest here. Do I keep the guest? I do!")

以前没钱(所以我)买华为 (Huawei used to be very affordable and low end) 现在没(足够的)钱买华为 (not any more….)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.