I am trying to make a strict index of individual words for a large work of literature, using Chinese word segmentation, such as are found at the back of reference books. . e.g. "大星............ found on pages 55,65,109,2202", etc.

A few sections left unsegmented by the programme were:

1. Numbers, e.g. 一千三百三十五. In English, in words this would be indexed as: "One" "thousand" "three" "hundred" "thirty" "five". Are large numbers considered a separate 'word', or should these be separated into characters?

2. Words with repeated characters. I have read a few good posts about repeated characters. Are these considered separate words, or a variant of the original? So, would 孤孤單單 be listed as a separate word to 孤單, and 子子孫孫 separately to 子孫?

Cheers.

I think it is up to you that how you wish the index to lead the reader to find a word, or a phrase quickly. Usually, I don't think you need to index a number or its parts. But if you feel it is necessary, you can break 一千三百三十五 down to:

"一千", "三百", "三十五", or

"一", "千", "三", "百", "十", "五".

For phrase with a repeated word:

"孤孤單單", "孤單", "孤", "單".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.