Since I'm encountering issues originating from using (insufficiently precise and often incomplete) Chinese-English and English-Chinese dictionaries, I'm trying to make the switch to Chinese-Chinese dictionaries. In one such dictionary, we find the definition of 论证:

论证 (lùn​zhèng​)

1. 名:逻辑学指引用论据来证明论题的真实性的论述过程,是由论据推出论题时所使用的推理形式。
  2. 动:论述并证明:~会。
  3. 名:立论的根据。

现代汉语词典 (original)

I think I understand 2 and 3 clearly enough: 你论证了你的观点 (def. 2; verb), and 你的论证很有道理 (def. 3; noun). The first definition above is a bit more complicated, however. I feel it means something like the English "argumentation", as an abstract, academic concept.

I feel that perhaps this example sentence from YouDao captures the first definition (although I'm not sure if it's a good example):

根据市场和生产厂家的情况,通过论证与分析,阐述了配制米的定义和品种种类。

Here I interpret the middle part as "..., by means of argumentation and analysis, ...". That's the best I've found at this point.

Question: What are some example sentences for 现代汉语词典's first definition of 论证?

• if you’re using chinese - chinese dictionary, the 國語辭典 is the authentic, authoritative one you need: dict.revised.moe.edu.tw/cbdic/search.htm 😸 Aug 6 at 0:11
    Although similar, I think 辯證 is "proof through (the knowledge-based) argument/debate" - 辯論證實, and 論證 is "proof through theory (and logic)" - 理論證實.
    – r13
    Aug 6 at 1:42
  • 👍Thumb up for the use of Chinese-Chinese dictionaries. Aug 6 at 20:08

Just add to dan's answer, the dictionary actually explains that to you.

逻辑学指...
逻辑学 - logic
指 - refer to

Together, definition 1 means In logic, the word refers to.... Although it is clearer to say:

(论证) 在逻辑学中指...

And you are indeed right on the translation of definition 1. It is an logic terminology means "argument".

From this website

他的 论证 严密,无可辩驳。

我们写文章要围绕中心论点展开 论证

按照这种 论证 的方法,充类至尽,问题也许就可以解决了。

It's the definition in 逻辑学. Usually, you don't have to care about it. Here is the Baidu reference.

Normally, we just focus on definition 2 & 3.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.