In a sentence like

我跟我的朋友一起去
I go with my friend

Is it correct to omit 一起? I mean, should 跟 always be accompanied by 一起?

Besides 'with', 跟 also has the meaning of 'follow'. Therefore, 一起 (together) can only be omitted when the context clearly suggests it doesn't mean 'follow'

Example:

• 我跟我的朋友都不懂滑水 -- 跟 here clearly means 'and' because it is indicated by 都, therefore, adding 一起 in the sentence is ungrammatical (redundant with 都)

• 我跟我的朋友一起去滑水 clearly means "I went water skiing with my friends (together)" - 'together' can be omitted in English

• 我跟我的朋友去學滑水 could mean "I went to learn water skiing with my friend " (you and your friends go learn together) or "I followed my friend to learn water skiing" (your friends take you somewhere to teach you)

• 跟 in 我跟我的朋友去 could mean 'with' or 'follow' if you omit 一起. That would create ambiguity

• 我在美國跟專家學滑水 clearly means: "I learned water skiing from an expert in the U.S." adding 一起 is illogical

我跟你去 means I will follow you, whilst 我跟你一起去 means I will go with you together.

我跟你去: It somehow imply that you take the lead. It might be that you go first, then I go after you.

我跟你一起去: you two go together.

Yes, 一起 can be omitted.

However, the translation of the original sentence should be "I and my friend go together", as 跟 = 和 in this sentence.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.