In the lyrics to 《寂寞寂寞就好》 there is a line which reads:

我總會把你戒掉

From context, I gather that “總會" means definitely, in other words:

我一定會把你戒掉

I have never seen this usage before, is this proper or just informal as used in song lyrics.

• it's like 'anyway' or 'after all'.
    – dan
    Sep 6 at 12:49
  • Yes, you can think that way, as it is something you have decided to do. However, I think "終會" is more appropriate than "總會" if not for rhyming requirement.
    – r13
    Sep 7 at 13:25

The general content of the lyrics suggest the possible happening of a future event, which is "most likely" to happen, but not yet at the time of singing.

Thus words like "eventually", "finally -- 終會", "most likely" would seem appropriately within context.

As for "definitely", I would consider it an "outside possibility" given the context of the preceding words -- 人本來就寂寞的 我總會把你戒掉, meaning "(since) people are originally / meant to be lonely, I would (therefore) "definitely" give you up"?

However, given that it is a future event, "definitely" is too definite, though not wrong per se. So, the other suggestions seem more in keeping with the general thrust of the lyrics.

I would say 總會 is more like "eventually".

一定 seems more urgent compared 總會.

• So in other words, “總會有一天我...",right? Sep 14 at 6:32
  • Yeah, I think that's valid, but obviously it depends on what context you want to use it in. You could also potentially split it into 我總有一天會...
    – Brian Tang
    Sep 14 at 20:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.