I am trying to translate the text of the new practical Chinese reader 2 chap 17, and I got stuck on the following two phrases "你要的衣服还没买。" and "你要的旗袍呢?" The context are two people buying clothes in a shop. I have heard that the 的 particle can also be used for "adjective clauses", is this the case here?

I appreciate all the help.

"你要旗袍呢?" sounds odd. Are you sure it is not "你要(的)旗袍呢?", "你要旗袍呢(!)" , or "你要旗袍(嗎)?"
    – Tang Ho
    Sep 7 at 11:29
  • Yes, my apologies there is indeed a 的 that is missing. I updated the question. Sep 7 at 15:14
  • 你要衣服 (noun + verb + object) = you need/ want clothes

• 你要旗袍 (noun + verb + object) = you need/ want cheongsam

The verb applies an action to the object

I have heard that the 的 particle can also be used for "adjective clauses", is this the case here?

Yes, 的 turns the noun + verb phrase 你要 into an adjective phrase that describes the noun e.g. 衣服,旗袍

• 你要的衣服 (adjective phrase + object) = the clothes that you need / want

• 你要的旗袍 (adjective phrase + object) = the cheongsam that you need/ want

• 你要的衣服还没买 = the clothes that you need/ want hasn't been bought yet

• 你要的旗袍呢? = how about / where is the cheongsam that you need/ want?

• Thank you, this helped a lot! Sep 12 at 9:45

Tang Ho's comment hits the main problem of the second sentence. Here is the translation after correction:

You haven't purchased (chosen) the cloth you wanted yet. Where is the 旗袍 (traditional dress) you wanted?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.