I wanted to talk about individual white hairs in a beard. I was taught that individual hairs where always 毛。So I said:

一些白毛已经出现了

This was immediately corrected to:

一些白发已经出现了

Shall I discard the rule that I learned from my professor? Is there a better rule, which I can apply in its stead? Should 毛 perhaps be used only with the measure word 根?

4 Answers 4

Generally speaking, hair that grows out of the top of your head is 髮(发), hair around a man's mouth is 鬍鬚(胡须), and hair in other parts of your body is 毛. 毛 is usually specified by the body part, e.g.

鼻毛 nostril hair,

腋毛 armpit hair,

睫毛 eye lash

胸毛 chest hair

眉毛 eye-brow hair

Note that 眉毛 can refer to individual eye-brow hair, or the whole eye-brow itself.

頭髮 is often used instead of just 髮

If you want to talk about individual white hair in your beard, it is 白鬍鬚(白胡须)。白发 or 白頭髮 is white hair on your head.

根 is the measure word for individual strands of hair.

• Is 胡须 used in China to mean beard and mustache?
    – r13
    Sep 30, 2021 at 0:45
  • I think "beard" is 胡须 & "mustache" is 胡子? Sep 30, 2021 at 2:30

抱歉,您的表达有点问题。我无法理解你 “具体”想要表达什么。 对于胡子上面长的毛,我们一般称为“胡须”。 你可以这样使用: 我的一些胡须已经变白了。

量词,如果是很多,比如 四个以上,我建议 您 使用 “一些”,“有些”等量词。

祝您生活愉快!

The correction 一些白发已经出现了 is worse than what you were saying 一些白毛已经出现了, with references to the beard, or mustache. Although 毛 is rarely used to describe the hair around your lips or jaws, it is not completely out of line, but the use of 发 is.

The famous use of 毛 for such case is the old saying: "嘴上無毛,做事不牢". Another saying that refers to 毛 as hair is "毛頭小子. The former refers to the unreliability of a young person. The latter refers to the immaturity and inexperience of the young person.

However, while 毛 can mean the hair on head, such as 他頭上僅存的幾根毛..., 发 can't be used to describe any body hairs but on the head.

You can modify your sentence to "我嘴上長出了一些(幾根)白毛". With referring to your mouth, I think the sentence is acceptable, although "我嘴上長出了一些(幾根)白鬍子(鬚)" is more proper and formal.

对于人体除了头发以外的毛发,中文一般“部位+毛”的形式来表达。不过,胡须是一个例外,我们一般就称之为胡子或者胡须,不用“毛”或者“发”。比如你所描述的情况通常就应该表达为“我长了一些白胡子”。 不过有时候我们也会用不加部位的“毛”这个字来开玩笑,比如你可以说你自己胡子里长了一些白毛,或者说你红头发的密友“长了一头红毛”。但是一般不用“发”来形容头发以外的毛发,开玩笑也不会用。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.