Can some translate this seal please? The above is English “Norma” it was my Nana’s name she had the seal enter image description heremade for her in Hong Kong many years ago. But I don’t know what the Chinese is under the name can some translate please?

乐玛 /Lè mǎ/ is a transliteration of Norma. That means the actual meanings of the characters are irrelevant. However, transliteration sometimes forms words or phrases that are meaningful. For reference: 乐= happy; 玛= agate; carnelian

Notice the 瑪 on the seal is a traditional Chinese character. Not a simplified one 玛

• Thank you for your response and So the Chinese is actually the name Norma? Cause I want to get it as a tattoo and I was hoping it would be her name in Chinese but I wasn’t sure Sep 29 '21 at 19:17
  • @Martinlillico 諾瑪(traditional) or 诺玛(simplified) would be better as a name. 諾 = promise
    – Tang Ho
    Sep 29 '21 at 19:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.