I'm new to Chinese as well as this forum. I would like to know what this means: enter image description here

I know it's pronounced míng, and I also know that the Ming Dynasty once ruled china. Does this also have some other meaning in Chinese, that is not a proper noun?

Ming dynasty is not the same character: 明 (the character in the photo is 名).
    – Becky 李蓓
    Oct 14, 2021 at 7:14
  • Don't leave the OP hanging. Put her out of her misery :) Oct 14, 2021 at 7:29
  • As a noun, it means name. If it is a verb, it means to describe.
    – joehua
    Oct 14, 2021 at 7:57

1 Answer 1

If the character "名" appears alone, it generally means "name" or "given name" (by the way, "surnames" in Chinese is "姓", and Chinese name consists of a surname and a given name, so "person's name" in Chinese is "姓名")

If 名 appears with other character, it will have different meanings depending on the context, e.g., a classifier (三名老师, means "three (of) teachers"), fame (名声), famous (闻名), describe (不可名状)...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.