What does 头 in 搞得头 / 弄得头 / 睡过头

For example in this sentence: 可是这个密码那个密码,搞得头都大了。

“头” 是 head的意思? “头” 字是个结果补语还是名词?

• 頭大, big head, means headache.
    – joehua
    Oct 14 at 8:03
  • Top, as in "over the top" Oct 14 at 17:46

To extend the answer from @r13:

These two following '头' refer to 'a person's head': 搞(弄)得头都大了 - something causes my head swollen(meaning you are headache). 搞(弄)得头都暈了 - something causes my head dizziness/confusion.

In last case, 头 is not 'head': There are several dialects call '小时-hour(Mandarin)' as '钟头', but it will be commonly understood by most of Chinese. So, 睡过头 - means 'sleep pass the hour', oversleep

New contributor
Drew Yang is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
  • Thanks a lot for your explanation!
    – user25207
    Oct 14 at 16:17
  • @DrewYang are you saying 睡过头 is derived from something like 睡过钟头? That's interesting. 2 days ago

搞(弄)得头都大了 - something causes headache.

搞(弄)得头都暈了 - something causes dizziness/confusion.

睡过头 - overslept

There are two things happening here. In your example, 可是这个密码那个密码,搞得头都大了, the second half should be parsed as: (搞得)+(头都大了).

It's the same for 弄; see the examples in r13's answer.

Basically, 搞得头 and 弄得头 are not a single grammatical entity.

"头都大了" is an interesting phrase that's worth looking at. I find it a bit hard to translate, my best attempt is "already has a headache". As far as I understand (I may be wrong), it is derived from a) "头大" which is a dialectal word (方言) according to dictionaries; and b) the structure " 都 + predicate + 了 = 已经 + predicate = already + predicate".

"头都暈了", mentioned in other answers, follows the same pattern. ("already dizzy")

The second case is 睡过头 which is a fixed expression that is in dictionaries and means to oversleep.

• Thanks, in this case if 头大 means headache what for 都 is in middle of 头都大?
    – user25207
    Oct 14 at 13:24
  • Good question! With the 了, here the 都 means "already", it's another structure: 都 +predicate+了 = 已经 + predicate = already + predicate . (Disclaimer, I'm not an expert, I may be mistaken. ) I think I'll edit my answer tomorrow, I now think it should be parsed as (搞得)+(头都大了). Oct 14 at 22:34
  • thank you for your comment!
    – user25207
    2 days ago

It just say something is over the bottom line.

“搞得头”:Today I just have 8 hours to work, but today's tasks need cost 10 hours at least. I have to work overtime, so it makes me headache.

“弄得头”:My ability just can finish medium difficulty task, but my manager allocate high difficulty task to me. I'm at a loss, So the task's difficulty is over my ability, it makes me headache too.

“睡过头”:I need to arrive office before 9:00, but I wake up at 10:00, so I overslept, it also makes me headache.

New contributor
duocai is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
    I think this answer would be better with some examples / sample phrases(例句). Perhaps the examples in English could be given in Chinese? Otherwise this answer is not very helpful (at least, not to me). 2 days ago

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.