May I ask what function does the word 於 have in this title: 台北兩日兩夜「帶於媽遊台北」.

I get the general idea of this title: Two Days and Two Nights in Taipei // Bringing my mum to travel around Taipei.

Please give more examples on how to use 於.

• 帶媽媽遊台北 would make sense
    – Tang Ho
    Nov 3 '21 at 10:09

於 as a surname is extremely rare

I suspect it is a mistake caused by translating the traditional character 于 (a common surname) as simplified 於 back to the traditional character

[Traditional --> Simplified --> Traditional]

於是 --> 于是 --> 於是

于媽 --> 于妈 --> 于媽 (於媽 is a mistake)

Similarly:

頭髮 --> 头发 --> 頭髮 (頭發 is a mistake)

心臟 --> 心脏 --> 心臟 (心髒 is a mistake)

胡鬚 --> 胡须 --> 胡鬚 (胡須 is a mistake)

In Cantonese, calling a woman by her [last name + 媽] is a common practice, if someone is a friend of 于先生, he might refer 于先生 as 老于 and his mother 于媽.

It is more common to use the first name though, e.g. 阿強的母親是強媽

Also, you can use the nickname, e.g. 阿牛的母親是牛媽

If you are talking about https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Yws3Tm6Wk, it seems that "於媽" is a person's name (or just how this youtuber calls his mother). There are many comments like "於媽笑聲好有感染力", "於媽好正呀" and "於媽真的好好,很開朗~". By the way, the youtuber uses Cantonese in the video and the description.

• Thanks! Yes, I am learning cantonese, hence watching these things help a lot in learning. The down side is they speak so fast (and there are no subtitles), so I can understand like 50% of the conversation. The rest are just guessing the context of the statements.
    – cgo
    Nov 3 '21 at 12:06
  • "於" is also a surname. If used as some sort of preposition in the sentence in question, then it makes no sense, hence Tang Ho's comment. Perhaps his father has more than one wife, and she is not his birth mother. In my family, my siblings from a different mother, called my birth mother by her surname paired with the Cantonese word for "Auntie" Nov 3 '21 at 12:25

於 in 於媽 might be the person's surname. In Chinese, surname + 称呼 is commonplace, e.g. 王婆,王妈, 李奶奶, 张爷爷, etc.

Have fun!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.