I couldn't any information on this question whatsoever and I tried every thinkable combination of keys...

Please can someone help? It gets a little annoying when I have to write Chinese texts that I always have to copy and paste this colon from the internet... :/

Help would be greatly appreciated!

• Which IME are you using? Isn't that going to be “:” under Chinese mode and ":" under English mode?
    – River
    Dec 1, 2021 at 15:06
  • Why are you not saying what IME you're using, even after River asked you? The answer may very well depend on the IME you use.
    – joehua
    Dec 2, 2021 at 1:16
  • It also depends on what keyboard layout you have. Are you using US keyboard?
    – River
    Dec 2, 2021 at 19:55

3 Answers 3

On a German QWERTZ keyboard you should press SHIFT + the key on the right of "L" (that is a "Ö").

enter image description here

If you can only type in English punctuations under Chinese mode with the default IME in Win 10, try the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl] + [.] to switch it back.

• You mean I should use the normal ":" colon instead of the Chinese one? Dec 1, 2021 at 17:30
    @AskingBecauseIHaveQuestions No, what River meant is, when you write Chinese text and want to write a Chinese colon ":", if you see that instead of ":" you get a ":", then try to press the CTRL key and, keeping CTRL pressed, the "." key. After that, try again to type the ":" key and you will see that you will get the Chinese colon ":". Dec 1, 2021 at 21:12
  • Ah, okay, thanks! But I can't even write a ":" with the Chinese language setting. Dec 1, 2021 at 23:05
    @AskingBecauseIHaveQuestions Type SHIFT + the key on the right of "L". Dec 1, 2021 at 23:13
    @AskingBecauseIHaveQuestions BTW, do you have a QWERTY or QWERTZ keyboard? Dec 1, 2021 at 23:28

Prehaps try to install some Chinese keyboard overlay on your win10,

one such example would be 'Sogou keyboard', which is available on their official website @ https://pinyin.sogou.com/

Once set up correctly, you can just type colon normally and it will show up.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.