I always see 在……时/的时候,but whenever I try to use this phrase, natives tell me to say 当……时/的时候 instead. Examples of 在……时/的时候 from natives:

如果我讲话的时候用到这些词的话……

阅读某些文章的时候……

我觉得我给你发了修改的文章说会更好一点。

上班……

课堂……

我自己造句的:

当我说中文时……(在我说中文时……?)

当他去中国旅行时……(在他去中国旅行时……?)

当下雨时我用雨伞。(在下雨时我用雨伞 ?)

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on this. When is it more preferable to use one over the other?

在 is "at...something is happening"; 当 is "when...something is happening". Sometimes they are interchangeable, but not always.

"在我"讲话的时候, ... = "当我"讲话的时候, ... The two sentences are interchangeable.

But 如果"在我"讲话的时候... (If at the time I am talking, ...) and 如果"当我"讲话的时候... (If when I am talking, ...) are not, because "if" conflicts with "when" - "if" indicates uncertain about something, but "when" indicates certainty.

Usual patterns of 在 and 当:

• 我觉得我给你发了修改的文章说会更好一点。[Pattern: 在...(之)後]

• 我觉得我给你发了修改的文章说会更好一点。[Pattern: 当...(之)时]

Comments on the example sentences:

• 当我中文, 很搞笑. (When I speak Chinese, it sounds funny.)

• 在我说中文时…… does not match the usual pattern 在...之前/後/間. But, 在我演說时…… = 当我演說时……, because 演說时 is a complete phrase by itself, that does not fall within the usual patterns.

• 当他去中国旅行时…… = 在他去中国旅行时…… Same as above, 旅行时 is a complete phrase by itself.

• 当下雨时我用雨伞。= 在下雨时我用雨伞。下雨时 is a complete phrase by itself.

• May I ask for some clarification regarding: ”演說时 is a complete phrase by itself“ And by extension, if I want to use 在……时,then it must be a complete phrase by itself? Dec 12 '21 at 16:16
  • I don't quite understand what you mean. But look at the pattern - 演說, 旅行, and 下雨 all are actions (verb) that differ from 中文, a noun, 中文时 can't be a standalone phrase.
    – r13
    Dec 12 '21 at 17:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.