I have downloaded the Adsotrans Chinese-English dictionary add-ons on Pleco, and when I search for 松茸 this came up. Other result may annotate translations as noun, adj, verb etc. but I have never seen this before. What does XING here mean?

I found a post on pleco forum, but no one seems to address it either.

enter image description here

I also exported the adso database, and there are words that has XING annotation.

enter image description here

形容詞 (xingrongci)? Maybe they forgot to convert it to ADJT?
    – aguijonazo
    Dec 16, 2021 at 5:57
  • oh, thats possible, but let me check for another occurrences of XING in the database to make sure
    – diedrop
    Dec 16, 2021 at 6:51

1 Answer 1

It refers to "adjective", from the Chinese word 形容词 (xíng​róng​cí​) = "adjective":

Unit: Adjective

• NOTE: this category covers adjectival noun [compound] headers (ie. definitions that are commonly paired with nouns in compound form). What are conventionally considered "adjectives" in the English language are classified by the system as Xingrongci (ie. Xing). Compound elements containing Xing may be considered Adjectives in terms of their functionally in Chinese grammar. For algorithmic purposes, this category can be considered a low-confidence form of Xingrongci.

Unit: Xing
David Lancashire, adso, GitHub.

So this dictionary has both "Xing" and "Adjt". As far as I'm aware, this usage is unique to this dictionary.

• didn't know theres a git repo for that!
    – diedrop
    Jun 6, 2022 at 2:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.