This is 排列成句 ("form a sentence") exercise from a Chinese textbook about measure words:

叶子 / 落下来 / 一片片 / 从 / 树上
量词 训练大全, p.26.

I infer from the Internet (e.g. here) that a (the (?)) correct answer is:

一片片叶子从树上落下来。

But I wonder if two other possibilities are also acceptable:

从树上一片片叶子落下来。
从树上落下来一片片叶子。

Question: Is 一片片叶子从树上落下来 the only correct option?

• Yes, both alternatives are acceptable, albeit the original was better. My second choice will be the last sentence 从树上落下来一片片叶子。
    – r13
    Jan 14 at 1:47
  • I'd put: 叶子从树上一片片落下来。There are many alternatives though.
    – dan
    Jan 14 at 3:38
  • 一片片 in 叶子从树上一片片落下来 is an adverb
    – Tang Ho
    Jan 14 at 19:44

2 Answers 2

This is 排列成句 ("form a sentence") exercise from a Chinese textbook about measure words:

1. 一片片叶子从树上落下来。 = one-after-another (measure word) leaf fall from the tree

2. 叶子一片片(adv)从树上落下来。= The leaves falling one-by-one (adv) from the tree

3. 从树上(落下)一片片叶子(来)。 = one-after-another(measure word) leaf fall from the tree

4. 从树上落下(了)一片片叶子 = one-after-another(measure word) leaf has fallen from the tree

• If you cannot change the character or its order in each phrase, and make 一片片 a measure word (not an adverb) then #1. is the only correct answer.

• 一片片 in #2 叶子一片片(地)从树上落下来 is an adverb, not a measure word

• You have to break up 落下 and 来 in #3

• You have to replace 来 with 了 in #4

• I disagree with #4, as both are acceptable, but in 句子重組, the change of a given word is not applicable.
    – r13
    Jan 14 at 16:08

The reason why "一片片叶子从树上落下来" is the correct answer is because the complete sentence is "秋天到了,一片片叶子从树上落下来"

I suspected that there is more to the sentence because "一片片叶子从树上落下来" somehow seems "incomplete" to me.

So, 秋天到了, 从树上一片片叶子落下来, & 秋天到了 从树上落下来一片片叶子 both therefore sounds awkward.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.